Sunday, August 22, 2010

A Walk in Walden

I'm embarrassingly under-read when it comes to come to Henry David Thoreau. Although, it seems much of what I read I want to remember so I can offer sage advice to people who will then think I think more than I do.
Such as:
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

And:
Grow wild only in accordance with thy Nature.

That one I didn't have to google...which may be to say it is not correct, but still something I do think about from time to time.

And:
If I were a creature of Nature, I would choose to be the bear. They get to walk around and eat blueberries all day.

That one was actually straight from Pete Dervan's mouth and was in fact the quote of the day...and he did have some stiff competition in Thoreau.

P.S.
If you do go to Walden, watch out for the Chipmunks. I'll say no more.

PPS
Except this:
Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life. Aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something.

PPPS.
What are we good for?

~HDT



Find my new post at: www.jengalante.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message ~ if you'd like to follow, you'll get updates when I make new posts. If not--return soon!